Monday, February 6, 2012

Maximizing Your Travel Experience

Everyone’s definition of ‘foreign land’ will be different.  Yours may be a beach holiday on some remote island, or a ski weekend at a mountain a few towns away that you’ve been meaning to get to for the last, if you’re anything like me, eight years;  whereas mine was a recent trip to India that was one part business, the other part personal exploration. Regardless of the destination, there are things we can do before traveling and while we are there to ensure we get the most out of our destination experience. 
1.       Research new destination early on I often have good intentions to do this, but in the hustle and bustle of getting ready this one has a tendency to fall to the wayside – don’t let it!  In preparing for my trip to India my best source of information was talking to others who had been there.  From these conversations I was provided insight into the Indian culture that is not covered in tour books. These conversations also built my excitement for the trip which enhanced the travel experience from the very beginning.  I also bought an India tour book that I perused on the flight over to pick up on logistical things like when certain attractions were closed, and the handicrafts that would make for good souvenirs.  Through my tour book I found out that Hyderabad, India, where I would be based for 7 days, is the world exporter of pearls – a girls gotta love that kind of factoid. J
2.       Pack something that reminds you of home – I always travel with a cheerful, colorful hanging travel bag from Vera Bradley that my husband bought for me last Christmas.  Every time I pull this colorful bag out of my suitcase it makes me smile and reminds me of my husband who always knows the perfect gift to buy for me.  Added bonus is its practicality in that it holds all my lotions and potions, and hangs from a hook in the bathroom allowing me to keep all my creature comforts organized in the bathroom.  
3.       Stock up on travel size toiletries – Before any big trip I inventory what’s left in my travel bag and then raid the local drug store’s travel size aisle to restock.  I am a fan of mini hairsprays, deodorants, shaving cream, etc., and I use those airport friendly travel size containers to transport my daily shampoo and conditioner.  If you’re anything like me and religiously adhere to a standard face regime of toner, moisturizer, etc., I have found that department store cosmetic counters are very willing to please a loyal customer by providing your special lotions and potions in travel size containers.  Same holds true for perfume counters.  During my last ‘browsing’ session at Nordstroms I stumbled upon the greatest travel accessory – for $5 Nordstroms would fill a travel size atomizer with your favorite scent.   Mine lasted me 12 days in India and is still going strong - $5 well spent!
4.       When in Rome  Traveling is a lot of work and it can be exhausting, but when in a new place push yourself to take in everything around you and seize every opportunity to explore off the beaten path.  With this being my first trip to India I went in with the mindset that I wanted to see it all and do it all – and I did!  After 21 hours of travel time I landed at Hyderabad airport at 4:30 AM.  By 10:30 that same morning I was enjoying a traditional Indian brunch with some friends followed by a 7 hour tour of the city – visiting temples, museums, and craft markets.  The people, stories, and sights that I saw in that first day far surpassed my exhaustion and really set the context for the remainder of my trip.  A few days into the trip exhaustion was taking over so I opted for a traditional Indian massage – a little pampering while still immersing myself in the Indian culture.  
5.       Record memorable moments as you go – This one I need to get better at but when I do take a few minutes to jot down my day’s experiences, I’m always appreciative when I return home because being so busy (and jet lagged) you tend to forget important nuances.  Be sure to answer the five ‘Ws’ (who, what, when, where, & why), and if you’re so inclined, jot down what your senses are telling you about a certain experience.  While in India I had so many fascinating conversations about their culture, including topics such as arranged marriages and the caste system that still exists, that I began to record highlights of these conversations in my online journal.   At some point I will work these stories into my ‘India Adventure’ scrapbook I will put together to remember this trip. 
I’m always looking for new and creative ways to get even more out of my travel experiences.  Please leave a comment sharing your personal techniques to maximize your travel experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment