Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Golden Nugget #2 - Stop overTHINKING... just LISTEN

Over the last four months I have spent a lot of time THINKING about the perfect focus for my entrepreneurial venture.  This THINKING has been excrutiatingly frustrating for me as I am someone who always seeks the big picture before diving in to make it all happen.  I found myself paralyzed, unable to act without the clarity of the end state/North Star to guide my actions. 

It all came together for me last night while driving home from work in the rain.... Out of frustruation I turned to a new tactic Listen instead of Think.  This concept of 'Listening to my inner voice' would typically  have had me laughing outloud, but damn, it acutally worked

Secrets to finding clarity:
  1. Stop dwelling on, 'I don't know,'  YOU DO KNOW - just stop overthinking and LISTEN!!  For me, the suble shift in thinking from 'I don't know the vision for my venture' to 'I KNOW the vision for my venture' was powerful.
  2. Determine the root cause of being stuck.  For me, the root cause came down to, 'It is easier to stay unclear and confused about my venture's vision, and keep repeating, 'I don't know,'  than to make the leap into the unknown (aka unplanned) and really go after what I want.'  That was an unacceptable state to be in, so I recognized the leap had to happen SOON!
  3. Break the stalemate.  I knew I had to stop waiting for the perfect plan to be put in place and recognize that any answer I could stand behind was the right answer, maybe not the PERFECT answer, but as long as it felt good to me it was the right answer and triggered my action. 
  4. Keep clarity alive through action.  My end state is so not even close to clear to me, BUT I've seen a glimmer of clarity of what I'm striving to develop and that speck of clarity has allowed me to take one step, and I'm confident the next step will make itself known.
For all you Fabulous females out there waiting to get 'unstuck,' I challenge you to take the time to stop thinking and just listen, as life speaks to us constantly - it's up to us to figure out what she is trying to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment