Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Golden Nugget #3: Accomplish a scary act a day

He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.    Muhammad Ali

Taking risks and learning from failure apparently are the cornerstones of entrepreneurial success.  This according to the many experts out there whose published success stories I have been gobbling up like a 3 year old let loose in a candy store.  Having acknowledged I have the 'entrepreneurial bug,' I have come to crave my daily dose of entrepreneurial success.  Reading about the vast, varied, and crazy ways in which products and services come to life fuel my passion and drive to create my own successful enterprise.  Now that I've waded far enough into the entrepreneurial waters to know what's possible,  I'm realizing it's one thing to read about others' success and collect golden nuggets along the way, and a totally different beast to actually begin to dabble my big, manicured toe into the entrepreneurial waters with my own ideas - try them out, see what works and what doesn't work. 

This my friends is risk, and as your typical Type A personality, I am failure-averse, I mean I REALLY do not like to fail, so this whole risk-taking business is a very uncomfortable, actually unnatural state for me.  So I have put out a challenge to myself - I can't go to bed at night until I have done something 'scary.'  By SCARY I mean , make that phone call I've been putting off, send out one more email inquiry, register for that entrepreneurial networking group - basically challenge myself to do today what I might have a tendency to put off to tomorrow because it's a little or a lot out of my comfort zone.  Let's see how this all goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment